Climate action coming to Knutsford as part of nationwide campaign. Taking place between 24th September – 2nd October, the climate action campaign known as the Great Big Green Week will see thousands of people across the UK organising local festivals and events. The campaign aims to draw attention to climate change, destruction of the natural world, while also making a connection with these issues in communities like Knutsford, at the same time as showcasing actions to tackle climate change. Creating a better world, for us now and for the next generation.
The main event of the week is a Community Climate Conversation where volunteers from Save our Shropshire are travelling to Knutsford to present on what we can all do to reduce our carbon footprint leading to a discussion on what Knutsford can do as a community to tackle Climate Change. The output of discussions from the event will help shape a community climate action plan which will aim to bring the council, business and wider community together for joint climate action.
The events taking place in Knutsford are:
- 25th September – Crosstown Community Orchard is holding a work day on Sunday 25th September from 10am to 12pm where they will be planting bulbs and undertaking general maintenance of the town’s orchard.
- 28th September – Town Ranger Bob is leading a litterpick of Dog Wood from the Moor to Tatton Park. Meet Bob at the Moor entrance to Dog Wood at 1pm.
- 29th September – Town Ranger Bob will be working with volunteers to create a shady wildflower meadow on Sparrow Lane. Join him at the green space by the path to Higher Downs / Delmar Road at 11am.
- 30th September – Cheshire Wildlife Trust will be leading volunteers to create Knutsford’s fourth native wildflower meadow along Ladies Mile, with thanks to Tatton Estate for permission.
- 1st October – Join Joe Godden from Knutsford Allotment Society on a tour of the Warren Avenue allotment site to find out more about allotmenteering. Book your free space here.
- 1st October – Friends of the Moor are raising the 2022 Green Flag at 2pm followed by a litterpick of the Moor and Barncroft.
- 2nd October – Friends of the Heath are leading their autumn litterpick of the Heath at 11am
- 2nd October – The Town Council is hosting a Community Climate Conversation at St John’s Church at 2pm. Led by community leaders from Save our Shropshire.
- 2nd October – Friends of College Wood are holding a litterpick in the wood time TBC.
The Great Big Green Week also sees the launch of Knutsford’s Big Bulb Plant – a bulb planting programme lasting the whole of October where residents are encouraged to pick a space and lead their neighbours in planting spring flowering bulbs supplied by the Town Council.
The Great Big Green Week is coordinated by The Climate Coalition, the UK’s largest group of people dedicated to action against climate change, whose members include the National Trust, WWF, Women’s Institute, Oxfam, and RSPB. Other organisations supporting the campaign included BT, British Mountaineering Council, and the Manchester United Foundation. Knutsford Town Council received a grant from The Great Big Green Week to bring green activity to Knutsford this year.