KNUTSFORD CENTENNIAL WAR MEMORIAL
Library Garden, Toft Road.
The Centennial War Memorial is a Grade II listed memorial unveiled in October 2018 as the council’s lasting commemoration of the centenary of the First World War. The memorial brings together a comprehensive roll of honour (published below) to publicly display the names of the fallen in a central and accessible war memorial and focal point for remembrance services.
The memorial incorporates the statue of Haron Baronian which was originally commissioned as a family memorial the statue had been relocated to the War Memorial Cottage Hospital in the 1970s.
The roll of honour lists the fallen from World War I, World War II and since 1945. The memorial was listed by Historic England in 2019, recognising the historic significance of the Hamo Thorneycroft Baronian sculpture.
WAR MEMORIAL COTTAGE HOSPITAL
The War Memorial Cottage Hospital was built in 1922 as a functional memorial and tribute to the fallen of Knutsford and the surrounding parishes.
In 1995, the building was sold by the NHS to the British Red Cross who used it as their county headquarters until 2020. The building has been sold to McCarthy and Stone and planning permission granted for its demolition and replacement with retirement apartments.
The wooden memorial boards are now displayed in the Council Offices and list the fallen from both wars from Knutsford and the surrounding parishes. McCarthy and Stone will be creating a new public memorial garden on the site which will incorporate the original plinth from the Haron Baronian statue and the marble plaque from the hospital.
OTHER KNUTSFORD WAR MEMORIALS
The Crosstown War Memorial is a sandstone fleur-de-lis cross on a raised garden near St Cross church. It commemorates the 47 servicemen from the St Cross parish who died during the First World War.
The Liberal Club War Memorial is a brass plaque on dark wooden board listing the names of the club members who fell during the First World War and those who served and returned.
The Methodist Church War Memorial is a gothic style oak board which lists the five members of the church who died in the First World War and the members who served and returned.
ST JOHN’S CHURCH
The St John’s Church War Memorial comprises three oak panels, two naming those from the parish who died in World War One and the third naming the fallen from World War Two.
Oka, King Edward Road
The Conservative Club War Memorial is an ornate brass plaque mounted on an oak board. It lists the names of the club members who who died during both world wars and the names of those who served and returned.