Knutsford Cemetery opened in January 1902, sited on Tabley Road at the edge of Knutsford, the five acre cemetery is surrounded by trees with a beautiful Grade II listed chapel in the centre. The management of the cemetery returned to the Town Council in January 2020 and we will be making a number of improvements to the cemetery in the coming years as well as working to secure a long term burial provision for Knutsford.
All users of the cemetery should read the Cemetery Regulations which set out the council’s rules in respect of use of the cemetery, burial rights and memorials. The cemetery is open to the public from dawn until dusk; toilets are available on site (not-accessible).
Any queries in relation to the cemetery should be addressed to:
Adam Keppel-Green, Town Clerk
Transfer of Burial Rights
We have produced a short booklet which explains the different processes for transferring burial rights – A Guide to Transferring Burial Rights
Memorial Mason Registration Scheme
The Town Council operates a registration scheme to ensure quality and consistency of craftsmanship in Knutsford Cemetery. Only masons on the council’s approved list are permitted to carry out work in the cemetery and masons must also be registered with BRAMM or NAMM.
Memorial Masons can apply to join the scheme at any time. Details of the scheme are available here: Knutsford Town Council Memorial Mason Registration Scheme.
To apply, complete the application form: Knutsford Town Council Memorial Mason Application.
Knutsford Cemetery Chapel is a Grade II listed building, built in 1901. The chapel is currently programmed for refurbishment to create a modern and welcoming chapel for services and functions. In the meantime it can be hired for funerals, but hirers are advised to have first visited to see the present condition.