Knutsford Town Council was formed in 1974, as part of the changes brought into effect by the Local Government Act of 1972. This saw the end of the Knutsford Urban District Council, which had governed Knutsford since 1895. The Town Council has always had offices in the Council Offices on Toft Road. This building was formerly the Prison Governor’s house, and was purchased by the Urban District Council. The offices are also home to the Council Chamber, where meetings were traditionally held; unfortunately due to accessibility issues the room is no longer used for meetings.
Knutsford Urban District Council
Knutsford Urban District Council were responsible for a large range of functions within the Town. The Council oversaw the construction of Tabley Road Cemetery and Chapel, the public Library and numerous Council Houses. The Council was also responsible for roads, sewerage and a range of other functions which are now under the jurisdiction of Cheshire East Council.
The Urban District Council first met on the 3rd of May 1895 at Egerton School, and duly elected the first Chairman of the Council, RC Longridge. The Urban District Council had offices in King Street, before moving into part of the newly constructed Kings Coffee House, which to this day bears the engraved name of the Council. The Kings Coffee House is still owned by Knutsford Town Council.
Chairmen of Knutsford Urban District Council
|1895-98||R Longridge||1938/39||E Thomas||1958-59||J Walley|
|1898-02||F Ashworth||1939-40||A Percy||1959-60||W Shaw|
|1902-09||L Bentley||1940-41||W Shaw||1960-61||J Bancroft|
|1909-20||J Cox||1941-42||E Waldron||1961-63||M Chorlton|
|1920-24||M Penn||1942-43||J Norbury||1963-64||J Gledhill|
|1924-26||A Leigh||1943-44||P Harwood||1964||J Kendrick|
|1926-28||F Wildgoose||1944-47||F Johnson||1964-65||J Walley|
|1928-30||A Leigh||1946-47||A Percy||1965-66||I Stevenson|
|1929-31||W Johnson||1947-49||F Floyd||1966-67||R Shepherd|
|1931-32||H Darlington||1949-50||A Percy||1967-68||G Butler|
|1932-33||W Fisher||1950-51||E Thomas||1968-69||H Fish|
|1933-34||F Jennings||1951-52||H Darlington||1969-70||M Chorlton|
|1934-35||H Stell||1952-54||A Hart||1970-71||G Whalley|
|1935-36||T Beswick||1954-55||F Floyd||1971-72||F Atkins|
|1936-37||S Cake||1955-57||T Meachin||1972-73||D Page|
|1937-38||G Mason||1957-58||J Gledhill||1973-74||H Glidewell|
Knutsford Town Mayors
The title of Town Mayor was given to the first Chairman of the newly formed Town Council in 1974, as first citizen of Knutsford the Mayor represents the Town at a range of civic functions, and is invested with a chain of office.
|1974/75||R Parr||1990/91||H Grange||2006/07||A Ranfield|
|1975/76||R Shepherd||1991/92||J Jordan||2007/08||J Nicholson|
|1976/77||W Walker||1992/93||J Holbrook||2008/09||J Holbrook|
|1977/78||J Walley||1993/94||B Austin||2009/10||L Want|
|1978/79||J Gledhill||1994/95||D Squirrel||2010/11||P Coan|
|1979/80||S O'Brien||1995/96||D Davies||2011/12||S Gardiner|
|1980/81||V Young||1996/97||J Holbrook||2012/13||V Davies|
|1981/82||M Page||1997/98||D Squirrel||2013/14||B Coan|
|1982/83||H Grange||1998/99||H Gates||2014/15||N Forbes|
|1983/84||A Mazzeo||1999/00||H Grange||2015/16||T Dean|
|1984/85||B Crossley||2000/01||J Holbrook||2016/17||J Nicholson|
|1985/86||B Phibbs||2001/02||G Walton||2017/18||N Forbes|
|1986/87||S Forbes||2002/03||A Ranfield||2018/19||P Coan|
|1987/88||K Fairhurst||2003/04||V Boston-Davies||2019/20||A Malloy|
|1988/89||M Howarth||2004/05||B Austin|
|1989/90||M Page||2005/06||W Hamman|
The first Town Clerk was Edward Lewis Ashworth, who was appointed on May 14th 1895 with a salary of £40 per year. Edward Morley, who was Clerk for 30 years, was the Clerk to both the Urban District Council and the Town Council.