Blue Plaques are designed to help visitors and residents identify with the history of the town and aim to promote the recognition and awareness of people, places and events which have been of lasting significance in the life of Knutsford or more widely.

We operate a blue plaques scheme to govern the installation of commemorative plaques across Knutsford and visitors to the town can now find 20 plaques noting key historic buildings, the homes of our famous residents and our links with Gaskell’s Cranford.

Our Blue Plaques Policy sets out the requirements for a new blue plaque and how we make decision on whether a plaque should be installed – Blue Plaques Policy.

Propose a plaque

Do you have an idea for a new blue plaque?

Email enquiries@knutsfordtowncouncil.gov.uk with the details, setting out why you believe a plaque should be installed. Our appraisal panel will review it and make a recommendation to our Environment Committee.


Gaskell Memorial Tower

King Street

Built in 1907 designed for Richard Harding Watt. Dedicated to Elizabeth Gaskell the 19th century author.

Richard Harding Watt

The Old Croft, Legh Road

Glove merchant and builder lived here from 1895. His series of unique buildings transformed the townscape of Knutsford

The Royal George

King Street

Early coaching inn formerly the 'George and Dragon'. Became 'Royal' following visit by Princess Victoria in 1832.

Ruskin Rooms

Drury Lane

A ‘Welcome Club’ for officers of the American Third Army was opening in this building by General George S Patton Commanding Officer on 25th April 1944 prior to participation in the Liberation of Europe June 1944 to May 1945

Knutsford Sessions House

Toft Road

Built in 1818, designed by George Moneypenny. Quarter Sessions (later the Crown Court) held in Knutsford since 1575 to 2010. Knutsford Gaol, behind the Sessions House closed in 1914 and was demolished in 1934.

Hollingford House

Toft Road

Hollingford House, formerly Church House – home of Elizabeth Gaskell’s Uncle, Dr. Peter Holland and his daughters, Lucy and Mary, thought to be the models for Miss Matty and Miss Jenkyns characters in Mrs Gaskell’s ‘Cranford

Marble Arch

King Street

This was once a coaching inn, thought to have been known as The Mermaid. It then became The Angel before the inn’s removal to the opposite side of the street in the early Eighteenth Century

Brook Street Chapel

Brook Street

Was was built following the Act of Toleration of 1689, which allowed Protestant dissenters to worship in their own Chapels. Elizabeth Gaskell, the Novelist, is buried in the graveyard

Heathfield Square

2 Heathfield Square

Built by Knutsford Urban District Council in 1922 in response to the government’s ‘homes fit for heroes’ building programme following the First World War

Edward Penny RA

Silk Mill Street

Born and lived in Silk Mill Street 1714-1768. Founding member of the Royal Academy of Arts

Sir Henry Holland

King Street

Sir Henry Holland, noted physician, traveller and writer was born here in 1788. He was doctor to two women important to George IV, Queen Caroline and Mrs Fitzherbert, to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert and to six Prime Ministers

Henry Royce

Brae Cottage, Legh Road

Co-founder of Rolls-Royce motor cars lived here 1898-1908

Martin Bell MP

Longview Hotel

The Independent MP for the Tatton Constituency commenced his political life here on Monday April 7th 1997. From the depths of ‘Bell’s Bunker’ he started a political campaign that was to capture the hearts and minds of fairminded local people, returning him with a significant historical majority to the Palace of Westminster

Miss Matty's Tea Shop

Princess Street

This property built in the reign of George I is reputed to have been the fictional home of Miss Matty the principal character in Mrs. Gaskell’s ‘Cranford’ and was also the home of Miss Elizabeth Harker upon whom Mrs Gaskell based her ‘Cranford’ character Batty Barker

Old Police Station

County Terrace, Bexton Road

1848 County Terrace was erected “for the occupation of the warders and discipline officers” of Knutsford Gaol, which stood behind the Law Courts on Toft Road. This house served as a police station. Its cell block, now converted to domestic accommodation, survives in the yard

Old Chapel and Grammar School

King Street

A Chapel of Ease stood here from the 14th century until the Parish Church was built in 1744. The Grammar School was also here until 1887

Marjorie Hurst

Silk Mill Street

A lifelong Knutsfordian and philanthropist founded these almshouses as a memorial to her father Frederick Hurst (1845-1942)

The Old Vicarage

King Street/Drury Lane

This house was donated by will in 1718 to be used as a vicarage. Around 1910 Alison Uttley, countrywoman and children’s writer lived here

Knutsford and District War Memorial Cottage Hospital

Northwich Road

This site was previously occupied by a cottage hospital, built by public subscription as a war memorial for the Knutsford district. From 1995-2022 it was headquarters for the Cheshire British Red Cross.

Former Prison Governor's House

Toft Road

Built 1846. Designed by Edmund Sharpe.