Wallwood is a small (0.68 acres) woodland at the top of King Street, opposite to the entrance to Tatton Park. The land is vested in the Town Council’s ownership by virtue of it being sole trustee for the “Charity for Public Recreation and Exercise” which was formed in 1979 when Tatton Estate gifted the land to the town.
The woodland is open all year round and is a quiet spot to take a break for lunch or whilst visiting the town centre.
Wallwood features a bug hotel and a number of bat and bird boxes.
HIGHER TOWN GREEN
Higher Town Green is a small open space on Chelford Road, opposite Carrwood. It comprises a natural woodland and small green and was registered as a Town Green in 1973 and the ownership, at that time unknown, was vested in in the council.
In 2016, an oak tree was planted in the centre of the green to celebrate HM The Queen’s 90th Birthday.
The Town Council took on responsibility for the Grade II listed obelisk on Chelford Road in 2020. The obelisk had been almost lost to the surrounding overgrown hedges and we started a project to re-landscape the make it a prominent gateway to the Town. We are also undertaking repairs to the obelisk including repointing and cleaning.
To date, we have cleared the overgrown trees and began levelling the ground. We will soon be planting a new boundary hedge and lawn.
ABOUT THE OBELISK
The obelisk was built in 1745 of rusticated stone. It stands around 7m high and at the top is a stone urn of flowers, thought to have originally been in the chapel of St Helena which was demolished at the same time. The obelisk was built by the Legh family of Booths Hall.