Councillors Nicholson, Coan, Dalzell, Forbes and Houghton.
A Keppel-Green (Town Clerk)
P22/034 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies were received from Cllrs Beswick (business) and Gardiner (personal business)
P22/035 DECLARATIONS OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
No member declared an interest in any item.
P22/036 CONFIRMATION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was RESOLVED to confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 5th September.
P22/037 STAFF HANDBOOK
It was RESOLVED to offer paid time off for an accompanying person to attend antenatal appointments and to offer a second week of paid maternity support leave.
It was RESOLVED to approve the revised Staff Handbook subject to minor corrections and the addition of page numbers.
P22/038 CULTURE AND WORKLOAD
It was noted that the Town Clerk would be working with all officers on task prioritisation to ease the pressure of high workloads.
It was RESOLVED:
- that staff be invited to appoint a representative from amongst them to attend meetings of the Personnel Committee
- there be a standing item on ordinary committee agendas for the representative to make a report and take questions from members
- that it be policy to undertake a biennial review of each staff member’s job description and salary benchmarking/evaluation and that this be undertaken by the Town Clerk and reported to the Personnel Committee should any changes be recommended.
- that the Town Clerk and Town Mayor produce an updated Member/Officer Protocol and Civic Protocol, with role descriptions for members, the town mayor, committee chairmen and personnel committee members, for approval by Full Council
- to establish a staff liaison panel comprising representatives of the committees which shall meet during the day with lunch provided for the panel
- to approve the terms of reference for the panel
- to host an annual summer/Christmas social where all members and staff are encouraged to attend
- to host a member/officer social following the elections in 2023 as part of inductions (this being the summer 23 social)
- that all members, but particularly committee chairmen, are encouraged to take time to thank staff for their efforts as appropriate (for example sending an email thanking them for completing a project, passing on praise to line managers/at committee etc)
- the Town Mayor send a birthday card to staff each year
- the Town Mayor ensures a card is sent to staff from the council for key occasions (e.g. engagement, birth of a child)
- members of the Personnel Committee take the time to welcome new staff – either in person or by sending a ‘welcome’ email.
- not to progress obtaining Investors in People status due to the disproportionate cost vs benefit
P22/039 COMMITTEE BUDGET 2023/24
It was RESOLVED to approve the budget as submitted.
P22/040 OUTSTANDING MATTERS LOG
The log was noted.
P22/041 DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING
It was noted that the next scheduled meeting would be held on 15th November 2022 at 7pm
P22/042 COMPLETION OF TOWN CENTRE AND MARKETING OFFICER PROBATION PERIOD
It was RESOLVED to exclude the public and press on the grounds that publicity would be prejudicial to the public interest by reason of the confidential nature of the business to be transacted.
It was noted that the Town Centre and Marketing Officer had tendered her resignation. It was agreed to hold an informal meeting to discuss the role prior to re-recruiting.
P22/043 ANNUAL SALARY PROGRESSION
It was RESOLVED to approve the salary progression as detailed in confidential report P-22-06.
P22/044 STAFFING OVERVIEW REPORT
The report was noted and it was agreed to consider a policy rewarding exemplary attendance.
P22/045 PERSONNEL MATTERS
The Town Clerk reported that morale was improving but that workload continued to be an issue.
The Chairman thanked Cllr Forbes for delivering his time management/delegation seminar to officers.
It was agreed that an internal short evaluation should be completed by staff following attendance at a course/completion of training.
The Town Clerk reported that he would be looking to arrange cover via a temporary administrator to provide resource during the period of vacancy of the Administration and Support Officer and Town Centre and Marketing Officer.