To commemorate the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II in 2020, the Town Council secured a grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund to produce a documentary film about Knutsford during the war. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, this project could not take place in the anniversary year but in Autumn 2021 we are now able to start.
This project, which we call our ‘Memories of WWII’ project has three strands:
- To train a team of community volunteers to have the skills to undertake oral history interviews
- To undertake interviews with people who have memories of Knutsford during the 1930s/1940s and particularly during the war period
- To produce a documentary style film using the interviews and archive footage to tell the story of Knutsford during the war
This page contains information about the project and how you can get involved.
HELP RECORD THE MEMORIES
We are looking to train a team of volunteers in conducting oral history interviews. These volunteers will then conduct interviews with those who come forward to share their memories, creating a permeant record and capturing some of Knutsford’s history for future generations.
The training session will take place on Saturday 9th October in the Council Offices and will be lead by Dr Michaela Hulme – an award winning historian and professional genealogist and lecturer in public history at the University of Birmingham. Michaela has previously volunteered with Knutsford Heritage Centre and was a neighbour of the late Joan Leach!
The oral history training will last three hours and we’ll train a group of 12 volunteers. The session will cover:
- What is Oral History?
- Understanding memory and perspective
- The oral history process
- Preparing for an interview
- Interviewing techniques and questions
- When things go wrong
Our aim is that after the training session volunteers will feel comfortable to undertake interviews. Michaela will also be supporting the project moving forward and be able to provide additional guidance to volunteers. After the training, we will begin planning the interviews.
If you would like to volunteer, please complete the expression of interest form.